Raspberry Pi of Death Blog
By N. Leveck
On the specialness of gopher (reply to ckeen)
Personally, I love and use gopher for the following reasons:
- It is clean – no ads, no bullshit
- It is fast – text screams over the network
- The citizens are also the creators – not passive
- High signal to noise ratio
- As a on-and-off-again Linux user for the past 20 years, I have learned so much from setting up my server and reading phlog posts. I find it a truly valuable resource. (I mainly run FreeBSD now, gopher led me to it)
Ancient tools and utilities have become daily use items, and I like the people. I may disagree with a lot of the politics, but it is not so polarized on gopher that it causes a division. The general lack of comments helps this. A live-and-let-live atmosphere pervades.
Thats what makes gopher special to me in a nutshell.